PRE-TREATMENT INFORMATION FOR LASER RESURFACING
- Accutane use is contraindicated if used within the 2 year period prior to laser resurfacing.
- Pregnancy and lactation are contraindications to the laser resurfacing procedure.
- All retinols and retinoids should be discontinued 6 weeks prior to your procedure. If you are uncertain about whether your skincare products contain these ingredients, please make sure to consult with our physician.
- If you are on hydroquinone, prescribed by your physician, discontinue this 5 days prior to the procedure.
- Sun and UV lamp exposure should be avoided for 6 weeks prior to treatment. Daily use of physical sun block SPF 50+ is recommended before and after treatment.
- PLAN to arrive ONE HOUR early to your appointment as topical anesthesia is applied one hour prior to treatment
- You must arrive to your appointment without any makeup or lotions to the face or neck, and wearing a button-down shirt.
- Bring a brand new UNOPENED tube of Aquaphor with you on the day of treatment. All products used on your face after the procedure must be brand new and previously unused.
- Treating the hairline may singe hair, but will not cause hair loss
- Although it is not mandatory, we advise oral sedation, which we include in your laser package, for the procedure, and you will need a driver to drive you home following the procedure. Please do not EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE!
POST-TREATMENT FOR LASER RESURFACING
- Apply a brand new unopened tube of Aquaphor to face every 2-3 hours after laser resurfacing for 3 DAYS after procedure. After healing is completed, apply an intense gentle moisturizer, such as Obagi hydrate, to areas treated. Any moisturizer that is used must not include any active ingredients, such as retinols, glycolic acid, lactic acid, alpha or beta hydroxyl acids, salicylic acids, or benzoyl peroxide. You must use only a plain moisturizer without any additional harsh chemicals. Please review your skincare regimen with your physician prior to leaving the office.
- Some patients report a “hot” or sunburn-like feeling, which lasts a few hours to a few days. A light fan may be directed at the face if you feel a light stinging. PAIN IS ABNORMAL and your physician must be IMMEDIATELY NOTIFIED if this occurs.
- You may wash your face with lukewarm water the morning after your treatment. After 3 days, you may use a gentle cleaner to cleanse the face. Moisturizer must be applied after washing.
- Patient may shower, but avoid hot water/steam on treated area, starting 24 hours after procedure.
- Patients should not “pick at” or aggressively scrub the exfoliating skin – and should allow it to gently exfoliate during the washing process.
- Sleeping with head elevated on pillows (head above heart) the first few nights post treatment can help minimize swelling.
- Avoid direct sun exposure. Apply sun block SPF 50+, when going outdoors, and apply every 1 hour while outdoors during the first 4 weeks of your recovery phase. You must only use sunscreen with titanium oxide, zinc oxide which provides broader physical protection. After the 4 week period, you may apply the sunscreen every 1.5-2 hours while outdoors.
- Wear a protective hat with a 6 inch wide brim, the first 4 weeks while outdoors. Avoid dirty, dusty environments, painting, hairsprays, perfumes while skin is healing
- Avoid mechanical exfoliation for 4 weeks. You may use mineral make-up starting on the 5th day after treatment.
- Please fill your prescriptions for Valtrex and Keflex prior to procedure and start taking the day before your procedure. Please notify your physician of any adverse reactions to these medications and do not discontinue them without first notifying your physician.
Interested in Cosmetic Skin Rejuvenation?
Call us with any questions or to make an appointment.