- 1 week prior to your appointment avoid using the following, unless directed otherwise by your physician: (Please continue taking any medications prescribed by your healthcare provider)
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aleve)
- St. Johns Wort, all supplements (multivitamins especially Fish oil capsules or high doses of Vitamin E and Vitamin C supplements)
- Any food high in omega fatty acids (almond butter, salmon, etc)
- Avoid alcohol 3 days before the procedure as this may cause increased bleeding and bruising. Alcohol does not contraindicate performing the procedure, but please notify your physician if you have had alcohol the few days prior to your procedure.
- Avoid wearing make-up to the office. We will need a clean, washed face for your injections.
- If you have previously suffered from frequent facial cold sores (2-3 outbreaks, or more, per year), discuss it with the doctor. You may need medication to minimize their recurrence.
- Consider Arnica montana to help reduce bruising. It significantly reduces bruising and swelling. You will need to start Arnica Montana the day of or before the procedure. Arnica is sold at our office.
Please feel free to directly contact us if you have any questions.
The guidelines to follow post treatment have been followed for years and are still employed today to prevent the possible side effect of ptosis (drooping of the eyelids). These measures should minimize the possibility of ptosis.
- No straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for 3-4 hours following treatment. It is now known that it takes the toxin approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve to start its work and because we do not want to increase circulation to that area to wash away the Botox from where it was injected.
- Avoid manipulation of the area for 3-4 hours following treatment (for the same reasons listed above). This includes avoiding a facial, peel or micro-dermabrasion after treatment with Botox or Dysport. A facial, peel or micro-dermabrasion can be done in the same appointment only if they are done before the procedure.
- Facial exercises in the injected areas are recommended for one (1) hour following treatment. This is to stimulate the binding of the toxin only to the localized area.
- It can take 2-10 days to take full effect. It is recommended that the patient contact the office no later than 2 to 3 weeks after treatment if the desired effect was not achieved and no sooner to give the toxin time to work.
- No make up on or around the injection site preferably until the day after the procedure.
Interested in Cosmetic Skin Rejuvenation?
Call us with any questions or to make an appointment.